Monday, April 23, 2007

The Dawning of a New Era


Hey Everyone and welcome to Hortus odorifera. Just to start things off, in case you are curious about the name, it is Latin for "Fragrant Garden" in the binomial taxonomy style used for naming plant species. This new blog is going to feature articles written by yours truly about plants, specifically (but not limited to) those that are quite fragrant and which are important for the human uses, with a focus on plants commonly used in the art of perfume design. Expect to see posts on plants like Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Lavender, and Patchouli for example.

As for a bit of a bio of myself. I'm a college senior about to graduate from the University of Maryland in May 2007 with a degree in Plant Science. I also work at the United States Botanic Gardens in Washington, DC as a gardener and am a huge perfume and plant dork. I have always had a fascination for both the subjects of plant science and perfume/cosmetics and am writing this blog to fill a bit of a void I've found in the literature available for those who are interested in what it means to read that there is a note of Frangipani in their new bottle of Annick Goutal Songes.

For those of you near Washington or those of you who will be traveling through DC, I will also try to comment about where I've found good places to scout for fragrances and also what new and exciting fragrant plants are available at the US Botanic Gardens and other gardens in the area as well as whatever advice I may be able to offer about other areas.

I will also try to link various things in the entries to sites where you can learn more about them. I hope you find them helpful.

Image: "Frangipani" from Wikipedia.org (Plumeria)

No comments: